Pages

Sunday 13 July 2014

Kinder Scout Wild Camp 11/7/14

After a mad dash from work and then home, I parked up in Hayfield at 18:30 and set off on my way.
My initial plan was to skirt around Kinder Reservoir clockwise and make my way up towards Cluther Rocks but due to my late arrival I opted to head towards Kinderlow End.
Even though my navigating has improved I did struggle through the first section as It's very compact.
As soon as I passed Tunstead Clough Farm things got easier as I was out in the open Countryside, my only problem now was being constantly mithered by flies in the heat.


Looking West from Kinderlow End.
As I left the grassy fields behind I made my way up Kinderlow End and came across the most magnificent caterpillar crossing the path in front of me, it froze when it sensed me which made for easier photographs.
After a short while of me taking photographs it carried on its journey so I did the same.


Oak Eggar caterpiller.
I resisted the temptation to search for the Kinderlow cavern and carried on towards the Three Knolls spotting a couple of silhouettes on the path above me.
I was pleasantly surprised by the many patches of Cottongrass bobbing about in the light evening breeze.



I knew the Red Brook would be doubtful for water (it was only a trickle last time I was here) unfortunately my guess was correct, it was bone dry.
My next (and last!) option for water was Kinder Downfall, I could hear the River Kinder noisily flowing below so I knew it wouldn't let me down.

Looking down Red Brook.
It wouldn't be long till the sun appeared out of the clouds and set so I pushed on for the final kilometre towards Downfall.
When I reached Downfall I was shocked, I stood there gawping at a dry stream bed with two stagnant pools of water my only option.
I climbed down the rocks to the biggest of the pools, the dead flies on top making me feel slightly sick.
I filled up the Travel Tap and Sawyer and made my way to some high rock for a brilliant view of the impending sunset.



My timing was spot on, shortly after I'd sat down the sun began to drop below the cloud slowly releasing a magical orange glow, I sat there on the rock transfixed by the beauty of it all.


Sunset from Kinder Downfall with Mermaids Pool (bottom left).
As the sun was about to disappear beyond my line of sight I headed South East to enable me to view its entirety.




By the time I'd left my second rock it was getting late so I headed off the beaten track in search of a decent spot to pitch, I never found it as the ground was lumpy and covered in thick stubborn vegetation.
On the plus side I would have great views when morning time came.
As soon as the tent was pitched and stuff unpacked I treated myself to a boil in the bag curry and a bottle of Bulmers, a perfect way to end a manic Friday!


I had a peek outside and saw the moon was slowly rising over Kinder Low, I donned the boots and grabbed the tripod but despite my best efforts I struggled with the lighting inside the tent.

Moon rising over Kinder Low.
Despite a waking up a few times with dead arms, I'd slept quite well and was finally woken by the sun's heat turning my tent into a greenhouse!
Over breakfast I decided I'd take a completely new route to further hone my navigational skills.
A fair while later I departed and headed roughly East back towards Hayfield.

Looking over to Kinder Reservoir and beyond.
Sandy Heys from my camp.
I didn't pass or see anyone on my slow amble back towards civilisation, taking my time to ensure my navigation was spot on.

Cottongrass with Kinder Downfall in the distance.
As I neared the small wood just South of the Kinder Reservoir I took off my pack to photograph some of nature's little jewels that often get overlooked.




As the Reservoir buildings loomed into view I bear left passing Farlands and began passing people on there way up and around Kinder.
As I joined Kinder Road I exchanged a polite 'morning' with an older Gent who was returning to Hayfield from a morning walk, turns out he was into wild camping and rock climbing in his younger years and often frequented the Lakes too! Small world eh? 
As I neared the car I realised that my next adventure (Helvellyn) is only a couple of weeks away and I can't bloody wait! :)

Map of route below:
http://gb.mapometer.com/walking/route_3894438.html

No comments:

Post a Comment