Pages

Sunday 2 March 2014

Kinder Scout Wild Camp 1/3/14

I'd been watching the forecast for a week or so, it had changed from sub-zero temperatures with light snow to a couple of degrees plus with cloud, I was looking forward to the snow but the slight change wasn't a complete let down.
Fast forward a few days and the call came.. “you're in on Saturday” bugger, this meant I'd still be at work till lunchtime, usually I'm parked up and ready to start walking by then.
Saturday came and I was home by 1pm, after eating and preparing for my short trip I set off, I arrived in Hayfield just after 4pm.
It was a glorious summer's evening and I set off at a decent pace, wanting to shoot a few pictures and find a suitable spot to pitch before it got too dark.
As I rounded Kinder Reservoir it was very calm and I was greeted by the familiar and rather odd cackles of the local grouse.
I noticed the sunlight was getting higher up the surrounding hills and I was on a mission to catch up with it!


I crossed a small bridge and filled up my Travel Tap, I had a fairly steep climb ahead of me and didn't know when I'd get the chance to fill up again, the climb was tough work but it was paying off, I was starting to reach the sun drenched places!



I started to pass small groups of people on their way back down from a day's stroll, I was slowly getting the place to myself and I made a few brief stops to drink and take a few photographs of the scenery.



As I reached the top of Sandy Hays I turned left heading towards Black Ashop Moor, it was starting to get cold as the sun had disappeared behind clouds which had also ruined my chance of taking any sunset pictures.


After a short while I took a right, which led me towards the edge, after crossing a stile it began to get boggy. I broke out the head-torch and flashlight as it was getting difficult to see what lay ahead, I came across a tiny stream and decided to fill up my reservoir, it took me a good few minutes and the water didn't look pleasant at all but it was the only source I'd found since reaching the plateau.
As the darkness rolled in I left the path looking for a place to pitch, it didn't take long to find a level spot and I noted the wind direction (as the forecast showed the wind increasing during the night) a few minutes later and my tent was up, I fired up the stove and treated myself to meatballs and a coffee, with some berries in custard for dessert.



I checked the map and figured I was somewhere near the two red brooks on the Northern edge of Kinder, getting the map opened and closed in such a confined space is definitely an experience!!


I took a look outside and was pleasantly surprised to see the stars, I located my mini tripod, grabbed my camera and scampered outside, the wind was starting to pick up so it was difficult getting the tripod to stay put, when I was satisfied with what I'd taken I was grateful to get back inside the tent, my hands were numb with the cold brisk breeze now blowing across the hillside.




I had a brief look through the pictures I'd taken and got into my sleeping bag, a short while later and the wind increased to tent distorting force and brought with it a lot of rain and sleet, I slept in 2-3 hour periods due to being woken up by the weather.
The morning was no different, I packed all my stuff away while leaving the outer tent in place till I had a break in the rain, I hastily took the tent down and marched back the way I'd came, it was misty and made following the path hard (as it often splits into many other paths) I can see why so many people come to grief up here.




Fighting the wind was a constant battle and (not surprisingly!) I only passed two hardy Northerners heading for Kinder Downfall, after a pleasant greeting they stopped briefly to double check they were heading the correct way and I assured them they were, It was a fast but tiring descent back down, my thighs aching from constantly having to keep my legs from running away beneath me, thankfully the wind was confined to the higher areas and the mist cleared upon nearing Kinder Reservoir.


After the brief stroll around the reservoir perimeter I followed the River Kinder back to my car, grateful for avoiding a drenching and getting some decent night shots In the process! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment